As a member of the newly reconstituted Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth, I am interested in connecting with other Episcopalians, both within this diocese and beyond, who are engaged in environmental ministry.

With this blog, I intend to pull together a variety of resources--links to what is happening in the wider Episcopal Church, books, programs, other diocesan ministries--to assist Fort Worth Episcopalians in theological and practical engagement with the environment, both locally and worldwide. In addition, when possible, I am posting my own reflections as an experiment in reading the daily lectionary through an environmental lens. These reflections are purely my own and do not necessarily reflect an official position of the Episcopal Church.

I look forward to engaging in conversations with others with similar concerns.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Morning Prayer 12-4-10

Luke 21: 5-19

I am reluctant to tackle this because it has so many apocalyptic associations—so often interpreted in the sense that the world doesn’t matter; God will save me in the end. So, I wish to set aside questions of the Lord’s coming, how the Lord comes, when, and so on, because I do not want to concentrate on this as a worldwide, historical event, an event in the flow of history; rather, I see it as an event always already present.

In that sense, I think the passage can mean, don’t be discouraged from faithfulness to what you believe to be true. We must not act like frightened sheep in the face of terrorist threats, natural disasters, and war. The alternatives given to us then, and the leaders that emerge then, arise from the blinkered context of a particular situation and the fear of threat to the status quo (fear, that is, for those for the status quo is beneficial).

But we are called to take a longer view, a broader view; we are called to see beyond immediate self-interest, and to act with the courage that defies even the fear of death. For, paradoxically, while “they will put some of you to death,” “not a hair of your head will perish.” Does this mean that you will be rewarded for holding right beliefs by being translated to heaven? I think not. I think that “by endurance you will gain your souls” now, in the present travail, rather than live as soulless shells in fear of speaking out against injustice (national, human, and environmental) that is often at the root of human disasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment